Debit Card Overview
The Benesyst Benny™ Benefits Card is a MasterCard® (or Visa®) that you can use at eligible providers to pay for FSA-eligible health care expenses, including prescription (Rx) and eligible over-the-counter (OTC) items.
Please, always keep your receipts and documentation!
Why use the Card?
The Benesyst Benny™ Benefits Card gives you easy access to your health care FSA funds. Swipe your Card and funds are deducted from your FSA balance to pay for the eligible expense - no need to submit a claim and wait for reimbursement.
How many Cards will I receive?
If enroll in a Health Care FSA, Limited Purpose FSA, or HRA you will automatically receive two (2) Cards in the mail; one for you and one for a spouse or legal dependent. Both Cards will have the participant’s name on it. The Cards are good for five (5) years, so you will use the same Cards for future plan years - do not discard after the current plan year.
How do I activate the Card?
The Card must be activated before you can use it. Either call the number on the Card sticker (one call activates both Cards) or follow the instructions to register the Card online. You must activate the Card within 90 days of receipt.
Who should sign the Card?
You should sign one Card. If you are sharing the second Card with a spouse or dependent, that individual must sign the back of the Card with his or her name. By signing and activating your Cards, you agree to the terms outlined in the My Use-of-Card Promises document. Please review this document for important information.
How long is the Card good for?
You’ll continue to use the same Card for up to five (5) years, whether or not you sign up for the Health Care FSA during each annual benefit enrollment period, so do not discard after plan year-end.
Purchasing Prescriptions and Over-the-Counter items (non-medicine)
Card swipes for prescriptions and eligible over-the-counter (OTC) items can only be made at a Participating Paperless Merchant.
Just present your Card to purchase FSA-eligible items. You will be asked for an alternative method of payment for any items that FSA-ineligible. Popular merchants include: CVS Pharmacies, Drugstore.com, Rite Aid, Savon Drugs Target, Wal-Mart and Walgreens.
Do I need to enter a PIN when making a purchase?
** Updated April 1, 2013**
Effective April 1, 2013 a new regulation goes into effect as part of the Dodd-Frank Wall-Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act that requires consumers to be provided with the ability to pay using a PIN (Personal Identification Number) at the point of sale, in addition to the current signature process.
Keep in mind, that the use of a PIN is not required. You can continue to use your Card as you always have – no change required, simply by swiping your card and providing a signature.
To request a PIN for your Card:
- To create a PIN, please call (866) 898-9795
- The automated system will walk you through the prompt to create your own self-selected PIN
Remember to keep your PIN private.
- We recommend creating a unique PIN that cannot be easily guessed by others.
How do I reset my PIN?
- You can reset your PIN simply by calling the activation number at (866) 898-9795
Am I required to use a PIN to access funds in my account?
- No, you can continue to use your Card as you always have – no change required, simply by swiping the card and providing a signature.
I have more than one card; does each card have its own PIN?
- No, the PIN is the same for all cards issued to your family. If you choose this option, make sure other family members are aware of the PIN. Alternatively, they can continue to pay using the signature process.
If I don’t know my PIN or have not yet selected one can I still use my card?
- Yes, simply let the merchant know that you wish to pay using the signature process and they will direct you accordingly.
How do I use my PIN when using my Card?
- Once you swipe your card at the point of purchase, choose “Credit” or “Debit” on the keypad. Choosing “Credit” will require only your signature. Choosing “Debit” will require you to enter your PIN.
Will I be able to receive cash-back or access my accounts via ATM with this new PIN option?
- No. PINs will only allow you to pay for eligible goods and services as they do today. Cash-back and ATM transactions will not be allowed.
Can I still submit a manual claim?
Certainly. Even if you have a Benesyst Benny™ Benefits Card, you are welcome to submit manual claims for FSA-eligible expenses that you did not pay for with your Card. You can submit claims online or by toll-free fax.
Can I use the Card for online or mail order purchases?
Yes, but the purchases must be FSA-eligible and the online merchant must be on the Participating Paperless Merchants list. Write the Benesyst Benny™ number on the mail order or online form or use the Card number to call in a payment.
Can I get additional Cards?
You may contact Benesyst to request additional cards at (800) 670-7131.
What if I lose the Card?
If you lose your Card, contact Benesyst right away at (800) 670-7131 to report the loss or theft of a Card.
Why did I receive an “Action Needed” letter?
Benesyst will try to electronically verify your Card transactions, as required by the IRS. If we are unable to verify a transaction, you will receive a letter requesting an itemized receipt or Explanation of Benefits (EOB).
If the requested documentation is not received within the stated time period, your Card will be suspended. Please insure your documentation is received by Benesyst by the stated dates and no later than the last day of the run-out period. Keep a record of your fax transmission as proof of submittal.
For instructions on how to substantiate your card receipt, please click here.
What if I don’t have a receipt?
If you receive an “Action Needed” letter and don’t have an itemized receipt or EOB and cannot obtain one for the transaction, you are required to return the money to your FSA by mailing a check. Keep in mind that you have not lost anything; the money is returned to your FSA so it can be used for your next claim.
Why doesn’t my Card work?
- Insufficient funds in your account to cover your expenses - The expense must be lower than the total amount of your Health Care FSA balance for the transaction to be approved. If the expense is greater than your balance, the card transaction (swipe) will be declined.
- Invalid merchant - The Card may only be used at health care-related providers / stores such as pharmacies, drug stores, clinics, vision centers, dentist offices, hospitals, etc.
- Deactivated Card - If you have not provided documentation to Benesyst in the time required, or if your documentation shows an ineligible service or service date, your Card will be suspended. Once the information is received, your Card may be reactivated.